Scroll Top

Culture

The Celts, Romans and Arabs, who lived in this area of Portugal left their mark in various ways.
In this area of the country is still possible to attend the cultural traditions that mark the Portuguese identity. Come and discover them!

Village Community - Rio de Onor

Rio de onor amontesinho

Onor River is a parish in the municipality of Bragança which still exists as a community village. This regimen involves a mutual sharing and all the inhabitants, particularly in the following ways:

  • Sharing of community ovens;
  • Sharing of farmland community, where everyone must work;
  • Sharing a flock grazed on community land.

The village is crossed through the international border between Portugal and Spain, being for official Spanish honored as part of Castilla Rihonor and both sides are known by its inhabitants as "people above" and "people below” but they are not separate as two different villages.

This unique town assumes, in addition to a regime of self-government having their own dialect that is almost extinct, derived from Asturo Leonean, like the Mirandesa language.

Rio de Onor is a typical Transmontana Village with traditional houses which have two floors: upstairs living families, downstairs are the cattle, cereals and other products of the earth.

Learn more http://www.cm-braganca.pt/PageGen.aspx?WMCM_PaginaId=28187 or at: http://pt-br.facebook.com/GUELMAN

Monuments

Bridge Gimonde / Old Bridge

Ponte Gimonde

Located in the village of Gimonde, is a Roman stone bridge that crosses over the Onor River to road traffic. This bridge, which has a ring to give water to a mill, has the board-shaped easel, based on six round arches, equal.

Learn more: http://www.igespar.pt/pt/patrimonio/pesquisa/geral/patrimonioimovel/detail/74118/

Domus Municipalis - Old City Hall Municipal de Bragança

Ex-libris of the city of Bragança, is one of the most unusual late-romanesque Portuguese monuments of the XIV century. The calendar function for which apparently was designed, its peculiar organization in irregular pentagon, the succession of arches perfect rounds, the interior space arranged in a large brightly lit room and membership in a tank, are what give the building a unique character in our country, unparalleled in the rest of immediate national medieval architecture.

Learn more: http://www.cm-braganca.pt/PageGen.aspx?WMCM_PaginaId=7675

Castelo de Bragança

Built in the XV century, on a building at the time of D. Dinis, presents Gothic architectural features, being composed of a dungeon and a set of walls surrounding the old core and form four individual precincts. Deployed on high ground, and irregular oval plan, the interior also shows part of an organization sanchinaroad, with two main axes to converge to Port of Vila.

The Castle of Bragança, is one of the most important and best preserved castles in Portugal. From its walls we can see the mountains Montesinho and Sanabria (north), Rebordões (northeast) and Nogueira(weast).

Learn more: http://www.igespar.pt/pt/patrimonio/pesquisa/geral/patrimonioimovel/detail/71125/

http://pt-br.facebook.com/pages/Castelo-de-Bragan%C3%A7a/166790516667706?sk=wiki

Church of Castro de Avelãs

Integrated in a rural area, was built in the XIII century, and it was changed in the XVII and XVIII centuries, presenting features Romanesque and Baroque. It is a monastic church with Romanesque head, consisting of a rectangular nave, for bedside triple circular plan, and the sacristy are very beautiful.

The main facade has the corners of granite surmounted by rounded pyramids, and a portal to go straight headed pediment surmounted by semicircular window. Outside, the church is covered with tiles and decorated with blind arches and windows framed with saw teeth and protruding ribs. The initial design of the Monastery of Castro de Avelãs was quite grand, with plans to build the church in brick, since the area had not granite. Of the three old ships little remains, except the start of the south wall, later, as Gothic, and the tower placed on the south facade, ogival, and the stone construction material. It should be noted that the Monastery of Castro de Avelãs played a role in the economy and the development of the region, especially during the XIII century.

Learn more: http://www.bragancanet.pt/patrimonio/avelas.htm

Museums

 

Military Museum

Its foundation dates back to 1929, under the pretext of recovering the Castle and the consequent extinction of the Battalion, the Military Museum also left, returning in 1983 with the original collection enriched by pieces of light weapons since the  XII to the first World War.

The Military Museum of Bragança occupies the entire interior of the Tower and is viewed as memory space of the military experiences of the city, as most of the original pieces were donated by residents, participating in campaigns in Africa and a first World War.

Learn more: http://pt-br.facebook.com/pages/Castelo-de-Bragan%C3%A7a/166790516667706?sk=wiki

 

Museum of Ababe Baçal

Founded in the late XIX century, in 1925 and headquartered in the building of the former Bishop's Palace of Bragança, here you can enjoy parts of archeology, painting, drawing, sculpture, jewelery, furniture and textiles. The Museum includes a large part of spoil from the Bishop's Palace, which stands to own chapel. In this inaugural, join together in 1927, the collections of the Museum of Bragança city. Added to the initial background to the collections of the Abade Baçal, including parts of archeology, numismatics, epigraphy, and ethnography, and the acquisition of Raul Teixeira. Highlights also include the collection of masks.

Learn more: http://www.ipmuseus.pt/pt-PT/museus_palacios/ContentDetail.aspx?id=1109

http://pt-pt.facebook.com/museu.doabadebacal

 

Iberian Mask and Costume Museum

Opened in 2007, is a space for the traditions related to the masks and the northeastern of Zamora Region. Single place where are used and exposed the masks, costumes, props and objects made by craftsmen Portuguese and Spanish is in winter celebrations in Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro and Zamora Region.

Learn more: http://museudamascara.cm-braganca.pt/PageGen.aspx

  

Living Science Center / House of Seda (House of Silk)

This building coincides with the location of the old central electricity production, installed in 1914 in middle of the Great War by the French engineer Lucien Guerche.

It was opened in 2007, consists of two spaces: the Center for Environmental Monitoring and Interpretation and the House of Silk installed in a restored mill. It also has experimental play areas, designed for school children to visit.

Learn more: http://www.braganca.cienciaviva.pt/home/

 

Centre for Contemporary Art Grace Mitchell

It was in inaugurated in June 2008, with a design by architect Souto Moura, originates in the protocol signed in February 1999 between the municipalities of Bragança and Zamora. Is located in the historic city center and have a privileged view of the centuries-old Cathedral Square, the Art Center occupies a building of the XVIII century. It is divided into reception zone, bookstore, bar / coffee, terrace, garden, seven rooms dedicated to the work of the painter Graça Morais, educational service rooms, offices, meeting room, temporary exhibition gallery, shops, reserve collection and temporary exhibitions of the great nave.

Learn more: http://centroartegracamorais.cm-braganca.pt/PageGen.aspx or at: http://pt-br.facebook.com/pages/Centro-de-Arte-Contempor%C3%A2nea-Gra%C3%A7a-Morais/214025061950499

 

Rural museums

 

Museum of Rural Salselas

It is a museum that represents the image of traditional culture transmontana, a former Portuguese province and community. Is the fruit of Jaime António Gonçalves ideas, who is better known António Cravo writer who emigrated from the land of French, mobilized immigrant community in the parish and the local community to preserve a heritage that was in danger of extinction. The idea, that was born in 1976 materialized so that all the population participated actively in this project since they started building until donation of estate that today is a rural museum , a project that represents the community spirit as well. It is situated in the parish of Salselas, municipality of Macedo de Cavaleiros, and is one of the youngest museums in the Nordeste Transmontano, having opened its doors in August 2000.

Learn more: http://www.museururaldesalselas.com/

 

Museum of  Terra de Miranda (Museum of Miranda Land)

Installed in the building of the old seventeenth-century Town Hall, the Museum of Terra de Miranda was founded in 1982 by Father Antonio Mourinho.

Is situated in the historic town of Miranda do Douro, Square D. John III, the former Domus Municipalis, monumental building of the seventeenth century that served as City Hall and Jail until the 1970´s. Inside is a museum collection exposed varied that conveys what it was, and still is, the rustic life and culture of the peoples of the earth Miranda, from prehistoric times to our days.

The museum displays collections of cultural, artistic and ethnographic region; collects a sample of life in the Land of Miranda, but the whole region is a living museum, with unique characteristics and culture of its own, well expressed in the language of our people (the Mirandês), dances and music, theater and popular religion, gastronomy, in the forms of economy and way of being of people living in the countryside and farming.

The museum proposes to permanently attach ethnography of Miranda Land, Mirandesa collections of costumes and instruments used in production, agricultural tools and masks.

 

Learn more: http://www.ipmuseus.pt/pt-PT/museus_palacios/ContentDetail.aspx?id=1101

 

Museum of Rural Babe

Located in the village of Babe, we can find in this museum, various articles which were once used in everyday life of the people. Agricultural devices, lamps, lanterns, oil lamps, shuttles and more.

The initiative to recover the abandoned pieces of the old village was the priest, Father Belarmino Afonso, who decided to recover the history of Babe.

In addition to the objects of everyday life, are also exposed in this space tools which served the blacksmiths village.

Learn more: http://babeumdiadecadavez.blogspot.pt/2008/07/museus-rurai-babe-caravela-e-palcios.html

 

Rural Palaces Museum

Created in the old mill village community, here we find devices that were invented by man to facilitate not only the work of the field, as well as household chores. At that time people had little chance and joined to make wine, grinding grain, etc. The population was very close and they helped each other.

Today, the traditions were dying, the tools have been improved and many activities were forgotten, so that the population of Palácios, with the help of the Natural Park of Montesinho and county level Serviços Concelhios da Extensão Educativa, decided to collect antiques, the people were still at home, to show outsiders the relics that once were part of people's lives in this village of Lombada.

Learn more:  http://babeumdiadecadavez.blogspot.pt/2008/07/museus-rurai-babe-caravela-e-palcios.html 

 

Rural Caravela Museum

In Caravela, we find the old community stone tanks that once recovered, about 10 years, welcomes pieces that represent the history of the peasants, but also representatives of the parish of Caravela.

Learn more: http://babeumdiadecadavez.blogspot.pt/2008/07/museus-rurai-babe-caravela-e-palcios.html

 

SACRED ART MUSEUM OF ORDER III- S. Francisco de Vinhais

The Museum of Sacred Art of Vinhais is inserted into the concept of ecomuseum. Composed of eight cores spanning many areas throughout the county. These eight-core assets include architectural, archaeological, festivities and water, considered medicinal, used by ancient treatments. These nuclei were chosen among the 105 villages of the county, an area about 700 km2 where were some interesting points of interests of these nuclei. It is within the museum center that is housed the Museum of Sacred Art of the Third Order of St. Francisco, considered the "crown jewel" of the cultural facilities of Bragança. This project, in addition to the exhibition halls, incorporates the chapels of the Senhores dos Perdidos e da Oração de Jesus no Horto, a Igreja do Seminário e a de São Francisco. The objective of the Board is to create a concept of ecomuseum, in addition to making a difference in the district for being the only one with these characteristics, was trying to make better use of their natural and human resources, from the territory to be seen as a living museum.

The concept is that there is an interaction between visitors and the community.

Learn more: http://www.cm-vinhais.pt/cultura/infra-estruturas.html

GuestCentric - Hotel website & booking technology
VeriSign Secured, McAfee Secure, W3C CSS compliant